Sunday, June 22, 2008

Hickam Criterium

This morning Hickam AFB at it's first every bike race and it was a huge success. Weather was very nice and the course was as close to perfect as you can get. Several individuals that have never been on Hickam thought it was spectacular. Lynn and the kids came out to cheer me on and make the pain not seem too bad as I tried with all I had to keep up with the speedsters. This was my first time racing a Criterium which is a course less than a 1 mile with at least 4 turns. My division raced for 45 mins and it was at lighting speed to say the least. I completed 14.5 miles with an avg speed of 20.4 mph. It was as tough as I thought it was going to be but it was a lot of fun especially at the end when Jake decided he was ready to go racing.

You never know he might be a state champion some day (I'm referring to Jake not me)
Amanda's highlight of the day was playing with Ben's new puppy Maya and Robert. As you can see it was very nice in the shade but it was a little warm in the sun.
Jake even got in on the action of holding the puppy.
Here is a wide angle view of the course. It made it really nice for all the fans that showed up to see the entire race from any shade tree they were under
Thanks to HACC Daddy for setting this up and all the HACC riders that helped me get ready for my first every "Crit" race without any crashes and to all those that helped me today during the race.




1 comment:

Mom said...

Great Job, looks like you all were busy this week. Tell Amanda that her paintings were pretty, wish I could have been there for her tea party, looked like fun. Went fishing with Dad and Nathan today even tho it was raining a little but it was fun. Take care and talk to you later, love mom