Monday, May 26, 2008

Hawaii State Time Trials

Wow, what a day. It all started out early in the week with some secret negotiations with Ben to borrow some of the best aero equipment made. Like this LAS aero helmet weighing in at only 450 grams.

Additionally Ben allowed me to use his Reynolds Attack carbon racing wheels, weighing in at 1485 grams a set. (3.3 lbs)
Now it was time to get the SAG (support and gear) wagon loaded up with our gear. Dev and I both have indoor trainers to warm-up prior to an event as well as makes it easier to haul the bikes around without strapping them down. This picture is before we loaded all the gear around the bikes. I'm not sure if we went on a bike ride or a camping trip once the van was loaded down with all of our gear but with an 0400 departure it would have sucked to get to the race and forgotten something.
Just as Ben had predicted. We were the 1st ones on scene and staked out some prime real estate. Yes it was a little dark getting the bikes set-up but only about 30 mins before it was daylight.
This was a 40K (25.2 mile) out and back time trial event beginning and ending at Malaekahana State Park
Not long after we got the bikes set up John (HACC Daddy) showed up with the best canopy I've ever seen. It took all of about 3 mins to set up the tent and proudly display the Team Banner. This is Casey and Ben (today's future state champions) already warming up for the race.

Nice little sign to notify drivers there would bikes on the road since they weren't able to close the road and it being Memorial day weekend the traffic was expected to be heavy.
Everyone anxiously waiting to get their race numbers since there wasn't any pre-race day pick up. Went smoothly but I wished they would have started a little early than 1 hour prior to the start.
This is Ben's speed machine with his Zipp disc. This thing is so fast we can't even get a picture of him in motion.
I thought it was a very impressive showing of the HACC. Here are the results from today's race.
Annual license cat 4/5
20-24 Casey Tucker 1st place
35-39 Jeff Soots 5th place
40-44 Cheri Chirco (female) 1st place
40-44 Ben Sambrano 1st place
40-44 Steve Steele 2nd place
40-44 Reed Bernhard 3rd place
40-44 Dev Andrews 5th place
40-44 Jeff Adkins 10th place
50-54 John Girmsey (HACC Daddy) 2nd place
One day license
19-34 Jon Laurion 1st place
19-34 Kevin Osborne 6th place
35-49 Bryant Hafler 1st place
HACC members in force preparing for today's race.
View of the course on the North Shore of Oahu. We've road this section of the road a couple of times in the last 2 months during the team time trials and the Haleiwa Century ride.
This is a snapshot of my speed vs. HR with elevation. It almost appears this was 2 separate races. Notice my speed (or lack of) during the 1st half of the race compared to my HR. Notice my speed vs HR (or lack of) on the 2nd half. This was my first individual time trial and I felt I was a little to conservative on the way out so I tried to make it up on the 2nd half.
Cardio was good for the event. I had plenty in the tank and should have pressed harder to get my HR around the 95% for the entire event. Not sure why I was running such a low HR since I normal run in the 170's.
Speed continued to drop off on the way out due to the head winds and trying to conserve. Once I made the turn I picked up the speed and ran the last 3rd of the event 4 mins fast than the 1st third.
To top of the day, Amanda and I went to see The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian. It was a very good movie and we had a really good time watching the movie and talking about our favorite parts of the movie.
As you can see it was an action packed day and tons of fun.



No comments: